Most commercial hair gels are laden with numerous chemicals that are harsh on your scalp. By making your own hair gel, you will save money and your scalp. This DIY hair gel recipe works to control frizz and shape curls. It only requires three ingredients, including good-for-you gelatin!
“Need to keep your curls in check?
Tame flyaway frizz? Well then, it’s time to whip up this quick and easy styling gel. Unlike commercial gels which contain weird ingredients, like:
Sorbitol, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Pantolactone, Isopropanolamine, Benzophenone-4, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodpropynyl-Butylcarbamate, Tromethamine, C12-15 Alkyl Benazoate, Hydrolized oat protein, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Butylphenyl, and Methylpropional
. . . this one just has three, and that’s if you include the optional ingredient.
DIY Hair Gel
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon gelatin (where to buy gelatin)
- 1/2 cup very warm purified water
- 3-5 drops essential oil (optional)
A Few Essential Oil Options
- Lime essential oils smells amazing, and is helpful for balancing oily hair. In a more concentrated form it may also lighten hair. (where to buy lime essential oil)
- Peppermint and rosemary essential oils stimulate hair growth and add shine. Great for normal hair. (where to buy peppermint essential oil, where to buy rosemary essential oil)
- Basil, thyme, patchouli, tea tree and lemongrass have astringent properties which are beneficial for oily hair
- Chamomile, lavender, sandalwood and rosemary are helpful for dry hair.
- Clary sage, tea tree, eucalyptus, and patchouli are helpful for dandruff
1. Dissolve gelatin into warm water, using 1⁄2 teaspoon for less hold and 1 teaspoon for more hold.”