Mayonnaise is a favorite topping and ingredient, but the ingredients in mayo itself are not so appealing. This homemade paleo mayo is made with yummy seasonings, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. It is simple to make and tastes fantastic!
“Wow! I can’t believe it’s taken me until my 40s to have a go at making my own mayonnaise! I’ve seen it on Masterchef a few times and seen people make a mess of it, but it was actually really easy! (And delicious!)
One thing that’s really changed for me since going SCD/Paleo, is how I see fats. I was raised in the ‘Fat makes you fat’ era so I’ve always been hesitant to eat them. I’ve found, though, that it’s the carbs I need to watch. Fats are good for you, make your skin and hair glow and make food taste AMAZING.
Sorry kids, no more of that store bought stuff with sugar in it, Mamma will make it for you from now on. 🙂
Makes 1 cup
1 egg (at room temperature)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup light olive oil
- Make sure your egg is at room temperature (actually mine wasn’t and it still worked, but maybe it was beginner’s luck.)
- Put the egg, vinegar, salt and dry mustard into a food processor or blender.
- Process for about a minute to thoroughly combine, tipping up the processor if you need to.
- With the processor still running, SLOWLY add the oil, drop by drop, through the space in the top of the machine.
- After they’ve been incorporated, you can slowly add the rest of the oil as the machine runs, in a slow and steady stream. (Mixture will stay runny until almost the end.)
- After you’ve added all the oil, it will now look thick and creamy like mayonnaise.”